Exnihilo Art Center is a non-profit organization focused on the arts, environment, cultural exchange and the creative economy.
Among its initiatives is the development of a scholarship programme that will provide financial assistance to a Family Island student(s) enrolled full-time and pursuing an Associates or Bachelors in Art with a focus in visual arts, music, creative writing, media and film, or theatre. Applicants may be new or existing students. The award has a maximum value of $1,000.00. The Exnihilo Art Award is a merit-based, portfolio scholarship that is awarded for ONE (1) year only, however extensions may be given to students who maintain a G.P.A. of at least 3.0 out of a possible 4.0.
The following criteria are used in selecting an Exnihilo Art Award recipient:
- Must be a Bahamian citizen
- Must have completed an approved secondary curriculum or syllabus on a Family Island in The Bahamas. This includes Grand Bahama and all islands outside of New Providence.
- Must submit a portfolio of work of 10-15 art pieces. The quality of submitted work is the most important part of this application.
- Must be accepted into or be enrolled in an art programme at an accredited post-secondary institution.
- Must be leaving high school with a 2.5 or greater GPA, or currently enrolled in an art programme at an accredited post-secondary institution with a G.P.A. of at least 3.0 out of a possible 4.0.
There are two parts to the application process.
- The online portion below has several parts. If you cannot complete all in one session your submissions will be saved. You can return and complete the remainder when you are able.
- Several documents must be submitted by mail. These include:
- A current high school transcript if you are about to begin studies at an accredited post-secondary institution.
- A current transcript from your institution if you are currently enrolled.
- Two letters of reference from a teacher or community leader (not family members). These must be mailed directly to the address provided by the person providing the letter of reference.
- An acceptance letter to an accredited post-secondary institution or verification that you are currently enrolled.
- Verification of Bahamian citizenship in the form of copies of pages one through four of your Bahamian passport.
All of the above documents must be mailed to
Exnihilo Art Award
P.O. Box N-4852
The online portion of the application must be completed by May 31, 2018. Information that is to be submitted by mail must be postmarked no later than May 31, 2018. Partial or incomplete submissions will be rejected.
All submissions will be reviewed by a committee for completeness and artistic merit. The committee will be comprised of the principles of Exnihilo Art Center. With the exception of the review committee, the information you submit will not be provided to any other persons. The decision of the review committee will be made public on July 15, 2018 on the Exnihilo Art Center website. The award winner will be notified directly. The decision of the review committee is final.